I thought I would explain the audition process for "The Voice" before launching into my experience's details. (PS- Don't click on the hyperlinks. Google throws them in as ads. They are not relevant to the post.)
Step One: Register online. I registered for my place in the audition months ago, before the venues were even announced. This step is crucial. If you don't register ahead of time, you won't be able to audition.
Step Two: A week before the audition date, your official "Artist Pass" will be available for download on the casting website. This is your ticket to the auditions. You have to show it multiple times during the process, so you can't do without it!
Step Three: Arrive at your venue. I don't think it matters how early you show up. I think I was there about 30 minutes before they started the process of herding the cattle of the crowd. There was already quite a crowd at that point. Fortunately, they let us inside, so there wasn't a long line outside of the building. There were a few different groups of people inside of the building. There were family members and friends with the folks auditioning at that point, so it was really hard to gauge how many folks were really there to audition. I didn't realize that my friend could have come in with me for this part of the waiting.
Step Four: Use the restroom. May sound silly, but if you are really drinking as much water as folks recommend, you will need to repeat this steps multiple times during the process. ;-)
Step Five: Once the time for the audition hits, they begin to let people in slowly. Each group/line is roped off to help with crowd control. When you reach the front of this part of the line, you are required to show your Artist Pass and Photo ID. It is at this point when friends and family have to leave.
Step Six: Security. Purses and bags are checked. The metal detecting wand is used for folks who don't have purses.
Step Seven: Wait in line again. There are five different lines, so help the process move efficiently. When you reach the front of this line, they check your Artist Pass and ID again. You are then given a wrist band. Artists receive a purple band. Minors and their guardians receive red bands.
Step Eight: Wait in chairs. They count folks off and send you in small groups to go wait to sit in chairs. Here is another opportunity to use the restroom.
Step Nine: Be herded to another room with chairs to wait again. It's very considerate of them to let you sit. The "crew" tried to make things interesting by playing a little "game" with us. Stand up and say your name, hometown and favorite song. The person who can remember the info from the two previous folks gets to sing his/her favorite song. Some good singers sang. Some bad singers sang.
Step Ten: We are counted out into a group of 10. We are led to a conference room. We had to wait outside in the hall for a while. The whole group took the opportunity to go to the restroom.
Step Eleven: The 10 of us are finally led into this room. There was one girl sitting behind a computer at a table. She was the lone "judge" of our group. One by one, she called us. Each person got up and stood on the "X" and sang their song. We were allowed one verse and one chorus. My song was just one long verse with no chorus...because that's how the song goes.
Step Twelve: The girl behind the computer says something along the lines of "The bar is set very high for this show...blah, blah, blah...Sonya and Timothy stay behind. The rest of you can go. We are then sent out of the room. They cut off our arm bands...as if we never existed.
I wanted to tell the girl who I had been sitting next to that she did an awesome job, but she vanished as soon as we walked out the door.
What happened with Timothy and Sonya? I don't know. They may have had to sing their second song, or perhaps they received the "red card" for a call back right away. I know that if either of them wins the show, I will be very proud to say that they were in my group. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment